Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Abhinav Bindra Does. . . What, Exactly?

I wasn't sleepy after, er, discussing taxes or something, with L, so I got up to check my email. Yahoo teases a story about India's first Olympic individual gold medal in a long time. The "click here to read all about it" tag says "which sport?" and so I clicked the link. The story I just linked above is what you get. It mentions a shooting range when the man was a child, and calls him a shooter. Does it name the sport?

Read it again, go ahead, I'll wait.

No, it doesn't. That's some fine detective work there, Lou.

You have to click through to here by clicking Abhinav Bindra's name to actually find out what he did.

Men's 10m air rifle. 60 shots. Qualified 4th, finished first.

Why can't you just come right out and say that he skins live cats and bites the heads off chickens and (gasp) horrors! shoots GUNS!!! Okay, so they're air guns but still he's a shooter! Come on, Yahoo!, you can at least mention the sport, if not the event, when you lead with "which sport", can't you? Hopolophobia: curable through education about, and direct contact with and shooting of guns.

I add my applause to the adulation coming at you from the entire nation of India.
Abhinav Bindra, congratulations on your world-class marksmanship. Jesus loves you.

:)

No comments: