Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Alternator Update: Success . . . Sort Of!

It takes a little longer than usual to replace an alternator when it is cold, wet, and foggy out, and your 6 year-old son is "helping" but we still got it done in about 2-ish hours.

The new bearings are also noisy, but instead of sounding so much like bearings in distress it sounds almost like supercharger whine. Yes I doublechecked belt tension. am not as concerned about the noise now, though, because I know I have a functional-but-loud spare in the garage, and the bearings on this one are, if not good, at least new.

Next time, whenever it gets really loud or I get a wild hair, I'll get myself a high quality bearing. Or maybe I'll just inject the old bearings with grease and see how it goes. They aren't palpably loose, just loud.

On a positive note, I did find out that I think I have a leaking axle seal.

Positive? VFD the cold got to your brain!

Well, would you rather find out you have a transmission leak when the gearbox freezes up at 70MPH, or when you are in your driveway with a little oil you can top it off with right there on the spot?

Oh, and I need to get some more transmission oil. I'm fresh out ;)

No comments: