Thursday, April 1, 2010

Living Dangerously

As a free, thinking individual, I have elected to leave Windows' Automatic Update feature turned off since . . . well, since I installed XP for the first time. Tonight I am paying the piper. "once in a while" best describes my manual update schedule. Tonight there are 64 updates, most several megabytes each, and those are the smaller ones which I elected to download and install. There were several programs MS tried to foist off on me, which would have made this take much longer than it already will.

There are probably people out there (without external backups) that would be terrified not to have Microsoft protecting them with automatic updates. Well, freedom is scary. I like to NOT be the guy making headlines with a crashed computer following an Automatic Update gone horribly wrong. When I heard about such a problem for the first time, it was worldwide news, and I was still running Windows 98 at the time, blissfully stable and not-crashing due to automatic updates.

And now here I sit, waiting, on the user end of a cheapest-possible-service DSL modem, downloading "critical" updates. Oh well.

No comments: