Thursday, December 16, 2010

Minor Victories In The (Losing?) War

I heard on the radio news a couple of days ago that there is now a federal BAN in place on the buying, selling, and reselling of drop-side cribs. A couple dozen children over a few decades were killed and I'm willing to bet a dollar almost all of them were from cribs which were not properly assembled or maintained. But, because you people are all dumb masses, you must be protected from something which has made life easier for millions of people for many, many years. The following is an edited transcript of an IM conversation I had with the guy who works in front of me, when the radio announced this farce:

VFD: Stupid people making life harder for everyone again
VFD: drop-side cribs now banned.
VFD: the kind that have a side that slides up/down? Yeah, you can't buy, sell, or resell one.
VFD: X-(
VFD: Good thing I gots mine
VFD: I outran the safety nazis great success
NP: so what happens if you're a "little person"
VFD: My Darling Wife is 5'2.5" and she sure likes her a drop-side crib
VFD: we've had TWO and nobody died
VFD: Not safe, not legal
VFD: like cars
VFD: and guns
VFD: and booze
VFD: and electricity
VFD: and fire
VFD: and rocks
VFD: and pencils
VFD: and water
VFD: you know how many babies died from dihydrogen monoxide ingestion?
VFD: ban that shit!
(NP asks out loud if this is water)
VFD: H2
VFD: O
VFD: let me go somewhere for a minute before I really get spun up

We're not as far down the road as England is, but we're headed that way.

No comments: