Monday, January 11, 2010

Madness On The Roads!

On the way up the highway this morning, I was passed by a car with one driver and one passenger. The passenger was a blow-up doll with a wig and clothing.

Then, closer to work . . .

The street is 2 lanes but widens to 3 to allow a right turn-or-straight lane about 5 car lengths from a stop light. #1 and #2 lanes are usually packed, but #3 is often empty. I was in the #1 lane, but changed to the #2 lane approaching the intersection. A car turned from #2 into the new #3 lane ahead of me, and I noted that another car in the #2 lane was sitting with their right turn signal on, waiting for traffic to clear so they could go around to the (almost-empty) #3 lane. I swooped on by and the car ahead of me in #3 turned right, leaving me at the pole position with nobody in front of me, in the #3 lane. The car with the turn signal on, gunned it. And slammed on the brakes immediately, because they were about 1 foot from accelerating straight into the side of a minivan that was already coming up from behind in the #3 lane. The driver of the van and I were both shaking our heads.

Look in your mirrors people. You may not want to look too closely into the car next door, but at least look at your mirrors. Preferably, also turn your head BEFORE you start a lane change, because a motorcycle (or VAN) might be where you want to put your car.

No comments: