Thursday, October 15, 2009

If You Drive Like This, You Stink!

As I was driving along the other day at 55MPH in the #1 (of 2) lane on my side of a 4-lane undivided highway . . .

An idiot in a "smart" car (but I repeat myself) came off a sidestreet to my right, and without so much as a pause, merges smoothly through the #2 lane, into the #1 lane, within a yard of my front bumper. I (an alert driver*) was honking from the time she started toward the lane divider. The other driver honked back. Nobody was behind me on the highway.

1/2 a mile down the road, they pulled off into the left-turning lane at an intersection at a red light. That's what was worth risking killing us both over. As I pulled even with the offending car, they honked again, so I passed and then made a feint, as if I were going to cut them off, in the little space in front of them in the left turning lane. This was around 30+MPH, no worries of anyone getting run into as far as I was concerned. I put my wheels onto the lane dividing line, then continued on my merry way in the #1 lane, my point made (and probably completely lost on the other driver).

I traveled a few hundred yards more down the road, when I was cut off by ANOTHER little econobox (a Saturn, I think). At least this driver was courteous enough to give me a car length of buffer room at 50 miles per hour, as they pulled in front of my car going 40-ish. I swerved around into the #2 lane where they should still have been.

As I passed each of these ill-driven cars, I noted a common factor. To quote my Darling Wife:

"Of COURSE it's a woman!"

*Be alert! We need more lerts!

No comments: