Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Pellet Rifle Sound Suppressor?

This is just an idea I had. I'm not sure if you would get jacked up by the BATFE for doing it . . . however, considering their shenanigans in the past, I'm probably already a felon by way of constructive possession . . .

A Daisy Model 880 pellet/BB gun has a full-length barrel shroud hiding a small-diameter barrel insert tube. There is around 1/8-1/4" of air around all of the barrel, for almost all of its length. The barrel is secured at the front by the front sight base, which wraps around the muzzle-end of the barrel and fills the gap between the shroud and barrel tube. If you pulled the barrel, drilled a few appropriately-spaced holes at the muzzle end, then rebored the end of the barrel so the actual crown were recessed past all the fresh drilled holes, the reassembled rifle would be venting high-pressure gas into the shroud.

Would that make it quiet? Does that even make any sense?

I think it would make sort of a muffled poof or a reverberating bong, unless you put some baffles in there (like in a proper suppressor).

2 comments:

David said...

I don't see a need to push back the crown. This would work, and it would work better if you packed the empty space with some steel wool or other such material to dampen reverberations.

And it's perfectly legal so long as you can't fire powder-propelled bullets down it, or readily adapt it to a firearm. (That's why Gamo and others can sell integrated suppressors on their airguns: they won't survive the pressure of even the lightest firearm cartridges of their diameter.)

Let us know how it works!

Vote For David said...

I don't have a water saw to cut the holes in the barrel. Not pushing back the crown would mean jaggy holes right near the end of the bore; not so good for accuracy.

I am pretty sure the city (my the city) already defines it as a firearm. Note that it is only an ordinance (read: we'll at least try to fine and jail you like it was a real law) but I seriously doubt podunkville and ATF would agree on the definition.

I have somewhere in the double-digits of projects ahead of this. Feel free to get to it ahead of me.