Sunday, April 6, 2008

Regarding The Flag Lapel Pin Controversy

or,

Why don't I wear an American flag lapel pin?

Because I'm not much of a one for wearing jewelery, that's why. Do you question my patriotism? Shall I likewise question yours? The very lowest scoundrel may wear all the pins and ribands you like, and it changes him not one bit. Does your opinion of him improve, if he wear your preferred trinket? Then you are either a fool or not thinking very hard; neither of these are ways I recommend you to be. Shall I wear our national ensign to show that I am "politically correct"? Bah, humbug.

You can't look inside of me. You can't see how my heart swells with love, pride, and yes very patriotism, when I see those stars & stripes unfurled. Sometimes, when I think of the men who shed their blood to preserve that flag for me; my brothers-in-arms who died, were maimed, were wounded, who went for long years away from their precious wives and beloved children, so that our nation should be preserved for us; I have been known to catch my breath and tear up in gratitude. I thank God for this country, for putting me in it, and preserving it for me. If I don't wear a pin on my breast made by some poor slave in China, then, you will please excuse me, and if it bothers your poor soul, pray for me, brothers, that I should reform my ways. Brother, give me a break.

Are you bent out of shape over an American flag pin missing from my lapel after reading all this? If so, I have a suggestion where you can stick it.

No comments: