Well, chalk this one up in the column marked "plain incompetence."
- The Republicans have had a candidate's debate scheduled for wednesday for quite a while now.
- The President's handlers saw he was falling in the polls while on vacation and panicked.
- A Major Speech was pre-announced. Content and timing to be determined but it was going to be a jobs plan presentation. Just like last year, this is so important it had to be put off until after the President's vacation ended.
- The usual methods of setting a date were totally disregarded, apparently, and the TelePrompTer was reserved for Wednesday, when the debate was scheduled. The President wants a joint session of congress in 3,2,1,GO!
- The White House Press Secretary was lambasted for presenting an inexcusably arrogant attitude: the debate is only one of many on one of many channels, so preempting it is no big deal. Besides, we won't be upset if they decide to reschedule their debate to work around our arbitrarily chosen date that conflicts with their long-established schedule!
- Rush Limbaugh and others told Boehner not to give an inch.
- The President's people must have taken another poll and realized how asinine they looked, because they decided to move the speech a day later.
The left stream media are saying the White House decided not to overshadow the debate. The skeptic in me thinks if the debate was on, the President would be the one getting lower ratings but we'll never know, now. They decided to have 500+ very important rich people come out (both houses of Congress) the day the NFL season opens. I will be richly amused if this date also proves unpossible. You see, both houses have to agree to a joint session, and they are not scheduled to be back in town until Thursday. In ONE day you have to get a resolution through both houses which prevents them seeing the football season opening game? Good luck with that. And even if they did get a joint session together, the only people watching would be Congressional and White House staff . . . in rooms with 2 televisions . . . and the other TV will have the game playing!
Everyone but the kool-aid drinkers knows already that this prespeech hubbub is a lot of fuss over nothing. I bet you a penny there will be no brave new plan, just different shades of the same old failed leftist ideas and stuff so outrageous and/or expensive they know the Republicans could never go along with it.
By the way, the joint session of congress is an unnecessary expense - they could always just do an internet Press Release or a YouTube video, but then the Congress isn't there for a prop *cough*styrofoam columns*cough* so . . . .