Wednesday, April 9, 2008

This Should Never, Ever, Ever Happen.

At work (http://www.cdnsystems.com) I use 2 things all day: Windows and Photoshop.

This morning, one of them made the other stop working. Guess which is which?

I couldn't do something I needed to do in Photoshop because Windows blows a fat one. Apparently the automatic updates that it downloaded had something to do with bringing up dialog boxes, and until I installed updates and shut down the system all the way and restarted, it wouldn't give my dialogs in Photoshop. Nice. What if this were a server I needed to be running 24/7? Oh well, you just lose money. Sure, fine, automatic updates off, right. My home computer is set so I tell it when I feel like updating, but this is at work.

Is it really asking so much, to have a computer's operating system not cost me money by forcing me to manually reboot on an automatically downloaded update to a buggy software package? Why is this even a question for me? If Redmond really had their act together, I would never even need to know any updates had been applied.

Transparency: for governments and bug-fix installations.

If I do anything besides shake my head at the Worthless Ones, it will cost me more precious time than it already did to type this up.

Just disgusting.

No comments: