Thursday, October 1, 2009

A Palpable Loss

I know a man who is a US Army W-4. He flies puddle-jumpers in the reserves, and he's pretty much working full time flying Uncle's junk around the country these days. He was given a choice between leaving his wife and 5 kids to go to Iraq for a year, or seek civilian employment. He is retiring soon.

To know such a fine man is leaving the military service of our country, hurts me.

We need men like this in our armed service. But when you work the reserve too hard, they stop wanting to be held in reserve. This same scenario is playing out x1000 around our nation.

We need a bigger permanent military if we are going to be at war. Stop pretending that we don't need as many active duty troops, and leave the National Guard to Guard the Nation (and go home at night).

I don't like it. I can't do anything about it, but I don't like it. :(

No comments: