Sunday, January 10, 2010

The Fear Of The Lord Is The Beginning of Wisdom

~or~ "Children Should Be Afraid Of Their Fathers"

Fear is fear. Fear is not equal to respect. Fear is not the equivalent of respect. Some folks will tell you that "the fear of the Lord" in the Bible is intended to mean respect, reverence, and honor for the Lord. I am here to tell you it is not. Fear, in this context, means fear.*

Now my children, #1 especially, don't respect me.** They don't know what respect is, much less understand it, much less have it for me. But my children fear me, and this is proper; and let me tell you why.

Because their fear is the beginning of wisdom. My kids are too young to understand that they ought not to do something because it is wrong. They don't care that we will be disappointed in them if they let us down. But my girl knows that if she does something she is not supposed to do, it is going to hurt when Daddy hears about it. She is afraid of the consequence, and so she behaves (usually) appropriately. At this point I don't expect reverence from her -that should come later. Right now what I want is simple obedience, which is brought on by her fear. This is the beginning of her wisdom.

How many of you (by show of hands) have never used a tablesaw? Of those of you who have never used a tablesaw, how many of you do not know that a tablesaw is dangerous? So. We know that if we touch that spinning blade it will hurt us. We fear that blade even if we have never used the tool. I have used table saws. I have used bandsaws, routers, drill presses, etc. and I have a very healthy respect for them, now. When I was young, I did what I had to do very carefully and minded my thoughts and my fingers with utmost caution, out of fear, and this was the first stage ("the beginning") of my wisdom when it comes to power tools. To be quite clear: using a table saw for the first time is scary. It would be foolhardy, to be unafraid of a tablesaw without a proper respect for its power.

I used power tools more and learned more about them. As my understanding matured, my fear gave way to respect. I am no longer afraid that I will lose my fingers due to a slip-up. I do what I should do now because I respect the danger and know what makes it more dangerous. I also know what will moderate the danger.

As a child grows, and their relationship with their parents matures, their fear (in a healthy relationship) will also become respect. They understand the benevolence of their parents and understand what brings punishment vs. what brings reward.

But why should we fear the Lord? Doesn't he love us and care for us, and actively seek the good of those that love him? Yes. But before you respect him and live daily as he would have you to do, you need to FEAR the Lord. Why? Because only God can send you to Hell. Displease me and might not talk to you. I might even sock you right in the kisser. Displease God and he can condemn you to the lake of fire forever. You will be forever burning but never burned up. Always dying and in torments, but never dead. Always suffering. Fear the one who can do this to you. Fear God. It is the beginning of wisdom.

********

*Fear in the Bible can also mean respect. Sometimes it's both. Read the whole Bible through a few times like I have, then see if you have a definite answer on the topic.

**I wrote this out long hand in June of 2004, which makes #1 all of about 2 years old at the time it was written. The situation is changed, but the principle has not.

No comments: