Monday, January 18, 2010

Nobody, Obviously.

Fer crying out loud. I was going through my notes and found this gem from a week or so ago, when the local weather was sub-freezing for a couple of days:

********

They had to put on the radio news yesterday an alert for the populace of Central Texas to stop calling 911 when they find a broken pipe. They said to call 311 instead. 911 was being flooded with calls, and the Fire Department was responding.

911 is for emergencies. A leaky pipe is not an emergency, unless you have an idea that the pipe is going to cause a street to cave in or something. My leaky pipe the other day, if I didn't know how to fix it, would have got me on the phone with a PLUMBER not the Emergency Services District!

If you don't have a phone book because you burned it to keep warm during The Great Freeze of 2010, that's fine. 411 will help you find a plumber. 311 is a non-emergency number for the Police, Fire Department, etc. They said to call 311 on the radio. I say "Don't call the police for a leaky pipe."

Who taught these people what the emergency services were for?

No comments: