Thursday, March 27, 2008

Okay, If You Just Want To Feeeeeeel Safer . . .

My mother in-law is in town to help with the housework while my wife tends to our newborn son. The first few days she either didn't say anything, or, more likely, didn't notice, that I was wearing a full-size pistol on my hip around the house. About the 4th day, she did say something and the next day I heard from my wife that I was "obsessed" about guns. It makes her mother uncoooomfortable to see me armed in my own home. And something less polite than a request to make the icky thing go away. So I put the holster up higher under my shirt (belt vs. pocket mounting) for the rest of the night and took to wearing the pocket pistol in a pocket instead, and her mother can continue being blissfully ignorant of the additional safety she enjoys under the watch of an armed host. I asked my wife and she said it were likely that her mother would be fine with me open-carrying if I were a policeman returned home from a day on patrol. Well, it's certain that I've more firearms training and practice, and am a much better shot than your average policeman but that's not an argument that would make headway with the mother in-law.

She's not much for the English, otherwise I'd 'splain it to her. As it is, I am just going to have to get an MTAC and keep the full power pistol under wraps, so to speak.

As for the obsession I never knew I had, I think part of it is that, when I am doing math homework online, I sometimes have to take a break before my head asplode. Since I'm doing homework when everybody else is in bed, as often as not that break will involve (instead of playing with kids or something) checking the gunbloggers or reading about what's new in the world of arms and armament. This is sometimes noticed. Also, since I want always to be armed (remember the great objective?), I think that's another sign.

No mention will be going the other way about how I am also obsessed with wearing a seat belt and locking the doors and drinking water, nor of how the womenfolks are obsessed about having the TV set turned on.

Fortunately, the MTAC should be an easy sell with She Who Keeps The Books, and her mother is only staying for a couple weeks, total.

No comments: