Friday, August 1, 2008

My High Standard:

I have a high standard. My expectations of you are perhaps unreasonably high. I expect that you will do what you can do, when you should, as well as you should. I try not to be too hard on you when you fail to meet that standard. If you need help, and don't ask, you likely will not get it. If you need help, and ask, you will likely get it. If you *want* help, and I know you can do it, and it is safe and painless for you to do it (even if it takes longer) I will let you do it by yourself, perhaps with constructive commentary from the sidelines. I will try to avoid letting someone get hurt doing what they obviously cannot.

For my family, this manifests itself sometimes in a percieved inability to please me. Mostly this is because I am constantly tired, busy, and occasionally grumpy. I want my children to be well-behaved, and my wife tolerably pleasant. The dishes can wait, and I won't kill anybody if the laundry sits one more day, especially if they go out to do something fun/educational, or are feeling tired.

How this relates to me:
I expect the best out of myself, for something I care about. Generally -thank God- I am competent enough at everything I have

to do, that I don't care about, that I can be unmotivated and half-ass it and do work that is satisfactory to the assigner thereof. If I care about something, I will probably take excessively long to do it, but it will be done well. The triggers on a couple of my personal firearms are fine examples of this.

How this relates to you:

If you tell me you will be there, I should be able to expect you to show up.
If you tell me you will do it, I should be able to bank on it being done
If you tell me you can do it, I should be able to leave it to you.

Unless you strike me as not worthy of such esteem, you will be trusted to do what you are assigned, the first time. If you don't git 'er done, there may not be a second time, or there may be a supervised period until you are trusted to do it alone again.

If you let me down because of ignorance, that is irritating, but forgivable. Expect to have your ignorace eliminated to the best of my ability. I will try not to be grumpy that you have failed, especially after the first minute or two after you tell me you did.

If you let me down because of incompetence, I will try to train you if it can be done reasonably quickly. If not, expect not to have that task again assigned to you

If you let me down because of laziness, I will be disappointed and you may have just lost a billet.

If you let me down because you are a worthless sack of [deleted] for any of a thousand reasons, you are fired, and I may be mad at you for a minute. I will very likely not loose my cool at you. After you leave and the door closes I will likely still keep my cool.

If you come at me with malice, and act towards me out of spite, feel free to anticipate anything up to and including cold, calculated violence directed at you. This may not be physical. You might lose a billet and never trace it to me. You will be very hard-pressed to get me to loose my cool even in this case. Genuine Anger is something (you may have seen a pattern developing) that I don't express very often.

If you come after my family, God help you.

That is all.

No comments: