Friday, August 15, 2008

You Know, I Really Didn't Need That

...at least, I don't think I did, but I could be wrong...

As I was driving the GLS home from work last night, I noticed that it was making a soft noise when I let off the throttle "bbbbbbbbbb". That got worse, and worse, and worse, until, when I got home, it was TATATATATATATATAT when I lifted the gas pedal, and it positively clattered when I shut off the engine.

Nice.

I think the new timing belt was put on too loose, and when it stretched (as new belts do) the valves made kissyface with the pistons. I tightened the belt real good-like when I got into it last night, but it still clatters so the damage may be done. I'm going to do some troubleshooting by removing the (new) belts to the a/c, power steering, (new) water pump, and maybe even the alternator real quick... but I'm pretty sure it's time to get REALLY hot on reworking my spare cylinder head, or else it's time to go get some valves and gaskets and keep running stock for a while.

Oh well. We'll see. It's just a machine, and if all the parts are good, it should work when I get done putting it back together. It's still cheaper than a car payment. It's still cheaper than a car payment. It's still cheaper than a car payment. It's still cheaper than a car payment. It's still cheaper than a car payment. It's still cheaper than a car payment. It's still cheaper than a car payment. It's still cheaper than a car payment. It's still cheaper than a car payment.

I know God has his own idea of a good idea, but sometimes I almost wish he'd pass down a cliff's notes version of it.

No comments: