Friday, February 4, 2011

Atticfoil.com Radiant Barrier Helps In the Winter Also

I still haven't finished that radiant barrier installation. Funny how that happens to DIY projects when a baby is born. This is my roof this morning, Snow Day I, 2011.

Click any image to see it full-sized.

Photobucket

Here it is with the contrast turned up and the brightness turned down. Please forgive the MS Paint editing quality . . .

Photobucket

On the right of the frame, the snow on my roof is smooth. On the left, the lines between the rows of shingles were clearly visible, as the snow is less thick. The left side of the roof was warmer. The reason? No radiant barrier over there. This effect is pretty dramatic, and I was surprised. Remember that these bits of roof are over a common air space.

Photobucket

If I had finished this installation in the summer I wouldn't have this dramatic comparison shot, my furnace would not have been wasting heat into this section of roof . . . but then I wouldn't have got this dramatic comparison shot.

I got a good deal on an astoundingly good product from atticfoil.com. Go check them out if you don't have a radiant barrier in your attic yet.

No comments: