Friday, February 4, 2011

Snow Day I, 2011

WM saved me the trouble of calling him and called me at 06:30-ish this morning. I am usually perfectly capable of carrying out instructions and doing what is required physically, but my speech when I'm awoken from sleep is pretty unintelligible.

I'm pretty sure he managed to hear my "10-4. Roger. Out." but it was hard for ME to understand me. I think he got it though because the last thing he said was he'd talk to (or see? I forget) me on Monday. Anyway I was tired. Between #4, #2 and #3, one of the children woke me up more frequently than once per hour starting at 12:30 just after I went to bed at midnight. I spent two hours up with #4 so my Darling Wife could sleep, and then the older ones kept making noises after 07:00. Oh well, it's not as if it was the first time this has happened.

Coffee and foul weather gear in that order were taken up, and we went out into the snow all at once. I made the children behave until I got a good group photo in the snow, then turned them loose. It wasn't wet enough to clump for good snowballs or snowmen, but they're from here and had lots of fun anyway. We got a solid inch of accumulation with drifts over 3" around the edges. Our next-door neighbors neglected to run their faucets and their pipes froze. We're not sure if there were any broken pipes over there yet. The neighbor on the other side has a leaky hose bib and he's got an impressive ice stalagmite on the side of his house. While we were in the front yard playing around 10:00 the neighborhood idiot brigade children came down the middle of the street taking turns walking, then running and skidding on the ice in the ruts in the snow left by a couple of passing cars. There's not a route to where I work that doesn't cross a bridge for most of the employees, so closing up shop today was probably a good call for WM to make.

My dad, from Pennsylvania, had about a 1/2" of snow on his sidewalk, and was thoroughly unimpressed.

No comments: