Sunday, February 20, 2011

They Always Obey

Yesterday I spent all day loading kids' games onto a new computer. Today I spent all evening fighting Bill Gates trying to connect the new computer to the old one, to transfer files. I tried just about everything I knew and looked up some things I didn't, trying to get these two computers networked. I am sure there is some way to do it, but I didn't write the code and don't know how to make the software work together well enough to get these two on a network.

I ended up using a crossover Ethernet cable connection. Eh.

Go ahead, somebody crack wise about how if these were Macs they would have instantly networked with each other as soon as I switched them both on.

So, did anything important happen? Treaties, wars, revolutions? Oh, sure, my Darling Wife started throwing up that was pretty important. That may just be everyone in the family sick of the flu. It just leaves the baby, who is breastfeeding and so somewhat less likely to get sick, and me, alcohol-gel-washing my hands, face, and ears like mad whenever I visit the sick people (read: everyone else in the house). Going to work tomorrow: possibly not. :(

2 comments:

KurtP said...

Even AFTER looking cr@p up online, the only way we could transfer the last time was to burn CDs.

Vote For David said...

Oh, man, at least get a DVD burner!

. . . which reminds me, I'm only 2/3 of the way through transferring files and settings to the new computer (10GB left to sift through) and the 20GB I already disposed of were the easy ones!

Simple: 6GB of photos
Hard: 1GB of 1kB user settings files!