Friday, February 27, 2009

If David Is Not His Job, What Is His Job?

I just wrote that I am not my job. The question arises then, what do I do for a paycheck?

I sell junk on eBay.

It's a little more complicated than it sounds, but that's the cliff's notes version. I work at a company of about 20 people, with a 90,000 square-foot $4M building mostly full of pallet racks holding "stuff" 3 to 5 levels high. The buyers go to auctions, facility closings, garage sales, wherever they can 'buy low.' The stuff is sorted and a lot of it gets sent straight to a recycling division. Those things worth the effort/time/hassle are taken apart and the cool bits are sent along to the distribution area. Testing, cleaning and photography, as well as making ads, is my part of it. I put a barcode label on an item and stick it on a shelf and the inventory fairy makes it disappear until it sells, for anywhere from negative to multiples of 100% profit. All told, the gross is somewhere in the $1-2M range annually, and the fees we pay eBay each month, and the electric bill every quarter, are more than I pay for my mortgage note each month.

No comments: