Thursday, July 2, 2009

After-Action Report: 02 July 2009

We were out in the backyard, with the children splashing in a wading pool, and I saw a pigeon alight on the phone lines. I heard the little voice you should always heed saying to get my Daisy, and I did. I loaded it, set the safety, and waited. Sure enough, some more birds came up and settled on the line right by our yard. Shot. Hit. Flop. Bounce off the top of the fence. DRT. Couple of near misses on moving birds (scope never got finished sighting-in, oops!) and then my Darling Wife came over for some trigger time when I set up an empty water bottle. She was chasing it pretty good, and was aiming for a shot at the bottle when I took the rifle from her and put some more air in it. A pigeon had just landed on the wire straight in front of the firing line (and 30 feet up, call it 20yds) Shot. Flapping/falling through the trees. Shot on the ground. 3 more flaps, DRT. More water bottle shooting ensued, then we all went in for supper. We left the birds to be supper for the cats or opossum or whatever cleans up back there.

Of course, after we went inside for supper, a half-dozen of them came and roosted on the wires. A near miss literally scared the poop out of one of them, but then they flew off. Not as much fun as seeing them fall, but just so long as they're not crapping up my land, that's fine.

No comments: