Sunday, July 12, 2009

Do Not Eat The Little Red Things On The Floor!

My Darling Wife and I were making a salsa roja today with chili piquin. The first step is grinding the dried chilis in my stone mortar & pestle, and adding garlic and grinding some more until it is a paste. Sometimes a small fleck of the chili skin flips out of the mortar.

Evidently, the skin of a whole chili got knocked out of there without us noticing it. After the salsa was made, #1 braved a taste and required a quick dose of milk to put out the mouth fire it caused. It was fortunate that the cup of milk was still on standby, because #3 came around with some "I don't want this in my mouth at all" expression on his face and he spit the whole chili skin out before I could finish telling him to.

Cliffs: #3 was grazing on the floor and ate the dried skin of a whole, tiny, red, very hot chili. He keeps reinforcing for himself what the concept of "spicy" means. He's got more respect for spicy than hot at this point. You might guess why.

No comments: