Sunday, February 19, 2012

You Can Read The Bible A Hundred Times

. . . and learn something new on the hundred-and-first. The verse numbers to follow are all in the sixth chapter of the book of Judges

Prime example: me, this morning. I don't know how many times I'd read the story of Gideon delivering his people from their oppressors and I didn't get why he was called Jerubbaal. I hadn't even *noticed* that he was an Abiezrite, much less the following:

Gideon was the son of Joash, an Abiezrite in verse 11.. In verse 34, Gideon blew a trumpet and Abiezer showed up. That is, he sounded a call to arms and the men of his tribe responded. That was the start of his militia/army action. I don't know how I missed it, but I did.

Gideon's father, Joash, had a sacred grove and an altar to Baal which Gideon destroyed in verse 27. The townsmen were going to kill Gideon and Joash said 'if Baal's a god, let him contend with Gideon' and renamed Gideon in verse 32 to Jerubbaal "Baal will contend".

********
You think you know a story, and then something like this happens!

No comments: