Thursday, March 12, 2009

CHL Holders In Texas CAN Carry In Churches.

Reader Machelle points out that IF you have a CHL, nobody with authority has told you not to, AND the appropriate "victim disarmament zone" signs are not placed, then you MAY take a concealed handgun into a church.

The law sounds backwards unless you are familiar with reading law, but here are the pertinent bits, lifted from context to save you reading the entire sections of code (which you can, like I did last night by clicking the link, below):

A license holder commits an offense if the license Holder carries a handgun on or about the license holders person Under the authority of Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code,And intentionally fails to conceal the handgun
(6) on the premises of a church, synagogue, or other established place of religious worship.
(I) Subsections (b)(4), (b)(5), (b)(6), and (c) do not apply if the actor was not given effective notice under Section 30.06.
(b) For purposes of this section, a person receives notice if the Owner of the property or someone with apparent authority to act for the Owner provides notice to the person by oral or written communication
(3) "Written communication" means:
(A) a card or other document on which is written language Identical to the following: "Pursuant to Section 30.06, Penal Code (trespass by holder of license to carry a concealed handgun), a person Licensed under Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Govemment Code (concealed Handgun law), may not enter this property with a concealed Handgun"; or
(B) a sign posted on the property that:
(I) includes the language described by Paragraph (A) in both English and Spanish;
(ii) appears in contrasting colors with block letters at least One inch in height; and
(iii) is displayed in a conspicuous manner clearly visible to the public

From the horse's mouth

Thanks to Machelle for sending me this, and I'll be forwarding it to GB who is a CHL holder and was trying to find out. As I have not asked permission (pretty please and paid my hundreds of dollars, submitted to a background check and fingerprinting by people who are supposed to serve me but instead treat me like a criminal) to be able to defend myself in a supposedly free State, carrying in Church would still make me a Felon, as I said.

It makes me glad to have got too busy to call my Elected Heroes about the subject. Now all we need to do is get on them about penalizing CHL holders for open carry, and then for having a CHL program at all (OC for everyone!)

No comments: