Friday, March 13, 2009

Yup, Alternator.

I mentioned before that the alternator in my car seemed to be going out. I replaced it with a factory remanufactured unit, and I'll be returning the aftermarket reman. to the dealership as the core. . . and never buying another aftermarket reman. unless it's from a specialty shop I know & trust.

You know your car picked the wrong day to fail when your neighbor, wearing a sweater, gets out of her car when she gets home and you are lying on a concrete slab under your car, and she says "OMG IT'S SO F--CKING COLD!" and runs inside.

Oh well. Long-term testing is underway but it sure looks like the alternator was the problem. Bonus: my charging system connections are all tight now and the grounds are known-good. Thanks to Jesus for a high quality battery BTW.

OPTIMA batteries. Red top, but a Yellow would have been nice to have also. I discharged it down to just over 10V and it charged right back up again, and got me THREE TIMES all the way through a 35-minute commute after being charged, without an alternator. The last time, I got jump-started and didn't use any accessories or lights and it got down only 300mV from full charge over the course of the trip!

Probably light blogging again, I have to skip lunch to make up for the long ones I took earlier this week to work on my car.

No comments: