Monday, March 16, 2009

If You Drive Like This, You STINK!

I got a full tank of gasoline in my little 30MPG commuter car this afternoon on the way home from work. Leaving the parking lot at the gas station, I pull into the exit lanes of the driveway, into the far-right exit lane. In the middle lane there is a red Chevy fullsize pickup that's been lifted & a huge bumper installed on the front, with a signal flashing intent to turn left.

Now, I have nothing against trucks, fullsize or not, red or not, Chevy or not, lifted or not, big bumpers or no. Except that they are not transparent.

This exit driveway empties into three lanes of traffic heading to our right, and one heading left. There are very few cars coming from the left right at this moment, but it would be foolhardy to just drive right out into the street. So I edge a little forward of the pickup to see around the front of it. The driver of the pickup scoots forward. I edge forward again. He scoots forward again. I edge forward a third time and get a look at the cars that are approaching from the left. He edges forward again.

So I waited for the cars I knew were coming (with nobody behind them) to pass by and took off.

If you edge forward and prevent people going the opposite direction from seeing approaching traffic, you stink at driving.

No comments: