Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Phenylephrine Dosage for Infants & Toddlers

Don't. . . . Seriously.

Look folks, you may have noticed the lengths to which I will go and the irritation I suffer to work around our government's restrictions on the availability of medicine for my children (see my rant here for example). But I am giving up this search as a bad job.

I spent hours trying to dig up proper dosing information for #3 and his runny nose. Pseudoephedrine dosage we already have. Phenylephrine we didn't. We still don't. And won't, it seems.

Why?

Because it's not for babies. The initial research was for 40+lbs children, not 20lbs children. It was never properly studied for infant use.

Because it's dangerous. Like, deadly. And you wouldn't be able to tell the side effects were happening until it was too late.

Because we already have sudafed, which actually works (unlike, according to some doctors, phenylephrine).

So don't. The life you save may be your own child's.

No comments: