Monday, March 9, 2009

So I Think My Alternator is Dead . . .

Going to work this morning, the radio started cutting on/off/on/off. Pulled the faceplate. That's either alternator or radio.

Then, taking off from a light, the tachometer went nuts. Then, the turn signal would make the tachometer dip when the lights came on. I got to work and sure enough, the windows were slow to roll up, the headlights made the tach. dip, and the air conditioner turned on for a second made it fall almost to nothing. Voltmeter say: 10.4V at the battery. :(

Light blogging today, lunch is going to be battery testing and alternator buying time for me today.

Edit/Update: It was the battery terminals. They were a little corroded, nowhere near as bad as I have seen some that still ran, but oh well. They've been scrubbed shiny, spooged up with vaseline, and the battery charged back up and reinstalled. It tested out at 647 of 720CCA when I got to the Advance Auto, so still good enough to run on. Well, thanks to Jesus for getting me to work, and for co-workers who will take their personal time out to drive me to where I need to go, when my car breaks down.

No comments: