Monday, December 20, 2010

How Well Do Temporary Fillings Work?

Like magic.

I have two holes in my teeth on opposite sides of my mouth. There were large amalgam fillings installed but they broke, and now there are gaps where food can get in and poke holes in the sensitive gingiva between the teeth. One side is worse than the other, and so I eat on the less-bad side. I ate some tortilla chips last week. This left me in pain for 3 of the last 4 days, from eating normal food. When you can't eat without hurting, it's time to Do Something. I was almost ready to set up an appointment with a local Dentist.

My Darling Wife kicked me out of the house yesterday and told me to get a D.I.Y. temporary filling. I picked up some Dentemp O.S., which I had used a few years ago with good results. The results this time were no less good.

I went to bed with some ibuprofen working its way through my guts and woke up this morning with a dull ache in my jaw. This was a drastic improvement from the day before when I was ready to set myself up for thousands of dollars of dental bills. My gums are healing from the insult they got a few days ago and tonight it feels less bad than it did today. In a week or two if the pattern holds, I'll be feeling well enough to be annoyed at having to use the temporary filling.

****

Bear in mind: inside the holes, my teeth have dentin in them, however thin it may be. I don't have an exposed root or an infected pulp or something horrible like that. If I did, I'd be writing about my visit to the Dentist today. If you have a dental emergency, but can't get to your Dentist, Dentemp O.S. is a stop-gap measure. If you have cavities that stopped getting worse since you read Cure Tooth Decay by Ramiel Nigel but you need "something" to fill the gap between your current budget while you pay off credit cards and the time you can afford a real repair, you might give Dentemp O.S. a try. While you wait for the pain to stop, take ibuprofen (NOT acetaminophen) and use eugenol (clove oil) until the ibuprofen kicks in.

********

No I don't get anything from Majestic Drug Co. for this. I paid retail for this stuff and likely will again. When something works this well to alleviate pain, I like to share the knowledge.

No comments: