Wednesday, December 29, 2010

No Blogging. Busy.

All evening I've been online, doing research. It's time to make a decision: stockpile incandescent lamps, or start using something else. My Darling Wife gets headaches and I get cranky from fluorescents and I'm not dishing out for a premium high-frequency-switched CFL to avoid the flickering. Plus the color rendering sucks. Like hell I'm spending $30 on ONE LED lamp. That leaves halogen or incandescent. Halogens are supposed to last 4x as long, and cost 4x as much if you shop around. Incandescents are the comfy, familiar, soon-to-be-illegal status quo.

So it looks like I'm off to the local Mega-Lo-Mart to buy either a GE Edison or a Philips Halogena, just to see what it's like for us in our house under a halogen bulb. Or else I'll just buy rough-duty bulbs for all the fixtures after we run out of our hoarded incandescents. Because it's not bad for the environment if a bulb is rated for harsher environments.

Wait, what?

That's right kiddies. My favorite exception to the law which was passed to please lobbyists for the expensive light bulb manufacturers: if it's a specialty bulb, you can still sell it after the ban. Need a 100W incandescent in 2012? Buy a ceiling fan vibration-resistant type and slap it in the stationary ceiling fixture. It still burns the same 100W for the same 1700 lumens, but because it is "Special" it does not kill Mother Earth as badly. So saith the United States Congress. What a load of [deleted].

I guess there was a little time to rant blog after all.

2 comments:

KurtP said...

Go with a hurricane lantern!

It burns fossil fuel and puts out CO2, what could be better for making hippies heads explode?

Vote For David said...

See, the problem with that is the same as the problem with the 500W halogen torchiere: sometimes the house burns down. I hate when that happens.