Tuesday, August 31, 2010

I Hate The Phone Practices Of Experian

I had to call Experian today to get something taken care of, and had great success!

I had previously requested my credit report over the phone. It is super-easy to do, if you don't have an accent. I'm from Texas. The robot failed -twice- to figure out how to spell my name correctly, then it had me leave a voice recording of my name and how to spell it. The credit report came with all the proper information on it, but with my name misspelled.

I ran an internet search on "How to talk to a human Experian" and came up with this: Call 1-866-583-0303 and enter the report number and last 4 of your oh-so-secure-password Social "Security" Number. Then it comes up with a menu of options, none of which is "stop talking to a robot." You have to say "Agent" while it is telling you your options. It will stop talking and ask if you want to talk to an agent. Tell the robot "Yes" and be prepared to wait on hold for a while.

********

When the robot initially answers the phone call, it rattles off a bunch of disclaimers, and also tells you that it looks at your area code to determine hours of service. This means that, as the business day was closed where I live last night when I got the erroneous report, I was out of luck until today. If you have the ability to spoof your area code, that might be a workaround (and illegal). I called back today during lunch, and got through to a human! . . . in India, where it was WAY past bed time. C'mon Experian, you have an overseas call center that's always open, and can't spend a little extra and just offer 24/7 service?

No comments: