Saturday, January 22, 2011

Day Blown, Not Much Done.

Last night/this morning was a blur of non-sleep due to wakeful children irritable with various benign things (teething, dry-air congestion, wet diaper, want a drink, etc). The morning had me keeping a lid on the Zoo while my Darling Wife slept in. A nap was had, then cleaning the house, supper, and more reading.

Reading? Yes reading. I probably spent six hours today reading subscription-only professional medical literature online and taking notes. Fatherinlaw has streaks on a fingernail. #4 has streaks on a fingernail. The same pediatric practice that twice would have preferred to put our babies in NICU instead of waiting a few minutes to a few hours (which was the actual, and correct course of action) wants to get a biopsy of the coloration. Biopsies of nail beds are disfiguring at worst, painful at best. That, plus the fact that subungual melanoma in an infant is about as probable as winning the lottery, has me in "wait and see" mode. But still I are not a dokter, so I think we might have one break out a dermatoscope and have a peek.

Nail matrix nevus with melanonychia longitudina: five-nines probable. Cancer: the one at the end of the number, by the percentage point, waaaay far away to the right of the decimal. Man, when I put it that way, maybe we won't go in for the dermatology consult.

No comments: