Monday, January 3, 2011

Trashy Detective Mystery Part IV

Today at lunchtime I called Former Trash Co., Inc. and talked to "Erica." She said my Darling Wife had called and canceled our trash service on the 16th of last month. That was a bit of a surprise, because I had told said Darling Wife that I was calling Former Trash Co. as I dug an old bill out of the filing cabinet this morning . . . and she didn't mention having called them to cancel the service. So I got off the phone with "Erica" and called my Darling Wife, who said they were putting words in her mouth. I called Former Trash Co., and spoke with "Mikaela" and got a slightly different word the second time around.

It turns out this was the person who processed my account closing. It was done at the order of the City of Davesville. The effective date of the cancellation of our service: Last Friday, the day after I got the notice from Davesville that we had to (or else!) use the service the fascisti in Davesville pick for us. This lady who wasn't lying straight out her [deleted] was kind enough to give me the direct line to the Person to Speak To in Davesville. So I called them.

The person at the City office was, at that moment, looking at my "Unhappy Camper" letter. She was all cheerful and nice, and said we could feel free to leave our trash bags at the curb until New Trash Co., Inc. Local 743 gets around to bringing us a new trash can. That'll be about a week. Contrast this with the DAY it took Former Trash Co. to get us a new trash can, but okay it's da gummint, what are you going to do?

I'm going to hope the dogs don't get into our trash bags.

The lady at the City asked about the recycle bin I didn't order. I told her I could grow a potato plant in it if they really wanted to send us one, and confirmed that we could order a recycle bin if we wanted to, later.

So there it is. My tax dollars hard at work.

********

She didn't say anything about the deposit.

No comments: