Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Election Time . . . Time To Do Your Homework!

I haven't slept until the next morning for the past two days, working on my car. Now that I have something to get to work in again, priority number 2 became finding out how to vote.

I've been at it for ::checks watch:: almost 3 hours. Bedtime was over an hour and a half ago, but this is important.

I'm about 2/3 done choosing candidates for fewer than 20 races. If you don't spend at least a significant fraction of this amount of time, please

Please...

Do NOT vote. Seriously. If you vote based on feelings or party affiliation (or worse, skin color or other prejudices) the country is better off if you stay home this Election Day.

In case you were curious, the list so far is heavily Republican, with a sprinkling of Libertarians. I've voted for a few Democrats in the past and may again this year (voted D for sheriff last time, if I recall correctly). I'm not finished making my picks yet. Skin color of the candidates runs the gamut from Iceland to Kenya, it makes 0% difference to me.

Note to candidates:

Have a website.
With pictures of you
AND
Easily accessible issue statements

You would think that was obvious but apparently not, especially for the small-time races' Libertarian candidates. My wife was making some hot cocoa and walked by the computer. I said "you've got to be kidding me." She came and looked, and it was a Losertarian candidate's "campaign website"... name, contact info, small picture, and nothing else. She's no computer wizard, but she said "Are you kidding? Even I could come up with a better website than that."

********

edit/update:

To stave off the questioning throngs, I'll tell you before you ask. 2 democrats made it onto my "fer" list (I was strongly "agin" most of the Dems this year). Sheriff and Tax Assessor-Collector. Because both have been doing a good job since I voted for them the last time.

No comments: