Thursday, October 16, 2008

No Christmas Before Thanksgiving!

Come on now, this is just stupid.

It's not even Haloween, and Gloucestershire decorators have already put up the Christmas kit.

Hold on there.

I know you're not a proper Christian, and probably don't even go to services at The Church as often as you should... but would you please stop taking advantage of the birth of the Lord as an opportunity to push your made in china junk on me? Turn the commercials off, stop playing the songs, and for crying out loud TAKE DOWN THE DECORATIONS at LEAST until December comes around.

At my house I have a hard and fast rule, both to avoid offending myself, and to prevent my hair getting any thinner or grayer:

NO Christmas before Thanksgiving.

None.

No music, decorations, commercials, gifts, cards, NOTHING. So the day after Thanksgiving my wife (who LOVES to decorate) pulls down all the fall/harvest stuff and BAM when I get home from work the next day and it's frikken Christmas. Complete with constant "hoooooliday" music. Gag me.

Let's celebrate the day, certainly. Maybe even the month. But, if you're not going to be like my dad and leave the Christmas stuff up year 'round, PLEASE at least wait until it's December. Sweating from the summer heat while looking at tinsel is just wrong.

No comments: