Friday, December 5, 2008

Coffee. More. Need Coffee.

Last night as we were settling in to do finances at 23:40, my wife reminded me that it is supposed to freeze, and asks if I wrapped up the pipes. Doh! Jacket, shoes, hat, flashlight . . . um . . . bedsheet and dirty old shop towel (should have gone to Home Depot yesterday) . . . and I'm out the door.

I was wrapping up my newly-installed piping and smelled gas. No, not from the burritos. Natural gas from the house supply. I sniffed around and found it leaking from the incoming supply pipe poking out of the ground, at the joint with the meter. Foundation repair and ground subsidence were working against me. When the repair guy from Atmos Energy pulled off the meter, the pipes were at different heights by 3" which explains why just tightening the fitting didn't cut the mustard.

Fast forward to 01:30 this morning and my meter is freshly painted and the pilot lights are all lit. Abed by 02:00 and up at 07:00 after waking twice because the baby was crying.

So. Coffee. Need. More.

********

This morning my carpool buddy was getting the grand tour of the newly painted meter and there was foam at a DIFFERENT joint, from the leak detector soapy water stuff bubbling all night. Great. Ah, it's a slow leak, I'll just let it wait. What's the worst that could happen, right?

No comments: