Friday, December 19, 2008

Bad News From Our Pediatrician Re: #3 :(

He's been fussy and whiny and we thought it was because he's teething. He's been sneezing and coughing and we thought it was because of the airborne allergens.

We were right.

We were also under-dosing him on acetaminophen. Poor little guy.

We were giving him a "0.8" on the dropper and he should have been getting a "1.2." I blame the drug company's lawyers and the entire American overly sue-happy judicial system, just like I blame them for not being able to get pseudoephedrine for infants in the US. It could not be my fault or my wife's for not trying to find suitable dosing for ourselves. If I remember I'll post up the chart our baby doctor gave us today. The chart on a bottle of Tylenol says 0.8ml for <2 year-olds. They removed the dose-by-weight information. Not wanting to OD a baby on something that can hurt vital organs, we were giving a dose that was too low when considered on a mg per kg basis.

Erring on the safe side with pain meds = fussy baby.

Problem (we hope) solved.

No comments: