Monday, December 15, 2008

Guns Kill People, or, Why Would You Even Think That Way?

A few times, people whom I know know I am (almost) always armed with at least a small pistol have made what seemed to me like exceedingly strange comments.

I showed a freshly purchased Glock to one person and they said they hoped I never got mad at my wife.

I was (quite accidentally) hit in the face with a toy by the father of another child at #2's birthday party and his wife said to be careful, because "they've got guns."

Hello? What sort of a person thinks about shooting somebody because of a minor insult or injury? I know, I know, it happens all the time, but I sure don't do it. I think next time somebody makes that comment, even in jest, I'll hit them with a serious look and say something like this:

"Actually, the decision to draw and to fire my weapon has already been made."

and then let that sink in and say:

"Unless somebody is about to do something that will result in my death, your death, or a large or offensive injury or property loss, I'm either walking away or putting up my dukes. You're about 100% shy of the criteria required to even make me think about drawing, much less shooting you. Trust me, if you were doing something that would cause you to catch one from me, you would never know about it in time to prevent it.

"Because guns don't kill people, I kill people. So relax already, and try not to ________ (whatever they did) again."

No comments: