Monday, March 1, 2010

Boy Kills Brother With Father's Carelessness

If you leave a charged Glock in a car, and you have children capable of accessing the car, no matter how much you protest to the contrary, you are careless. If one of your children finds the gun and blows his brother's brains out all over the inside of your truck, you damn well SHOULD beat yourself up over it for the rest of your life.

Note that this very likely would not have happened if a law-abiding citizen had not complied with a useless "gun free zone" law. The law says no guns at the post office. The father left his Glock (in Condition Zero) in the car, and neglected to remove it when they get home. The rest is history.

Sad, sad, sad. A young life tossed out, a brother with a spoiled innocence, and a formerly-gun-safe man branded forever as a danger, even if only in his own mind. Be sure the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Ownership Violence will be dancing in this child's blood soon, if they aren't already, trying to use it as an excuse for more anti-gun legislation.

Hat tip to Uncle
********

I know we should never say "never" but this would never happen at my home. If I leave a gun in a place where the children have even a remote chance of laying hands on it, it is not ready to fire. Period. I N.E.V.E.R. let my arms out of my direct control without putting them into Condition Four. Also, my children know that to touch my guns when there is no 'bad guy' present will result in Very Big Spankings, and they know that I am psychic (shhhhh. . . .). Also the ones old enough to talk have received n lectures on gun safety, and between the two of them, they can recite the Four Rules on command. THIS is careful. Leaving a Glock laying around in a house with children is not. Sorry.

No comments: