Saturday, October 2, 2010

Pockets Are For Stuff, Not For Hands

I do not allow my children to stand or walk around with their hands in their pockets. Sometimes if I see a grown-ass man with his hands in his pockets, I'll say to him "What do you have in your pocket?" Almost always, the response is "nothing" and/or a sheepish grin, and then their hands come out into plain view. Only once, and this was from a friend and smart-ass who was also tough as nails, did I ever hear back "A fist."

Besides that it demonstrates a bad/negative attitude or careless demeanor, shows pickpockets where to grab, and looks weak, cowardly, slovenly, disrespectful, lazy and unprofessional. Leave aside for the moment that is screws up your posture.

It lessens the physical readiness of the hand-pocketer to do much* with his hands. That includes, in this case the ability of a Marine to comply with the orders of Police who were tazing him (seven times), to show his hands. A copper who sees your hands in your pockets is on high alert because they can come up with anything from a gun or knife, to a drivers license, to nothing. With your hands in your pockets you are telling a policeman you may intend to kill him, unless you demonstrate otherwise. So they went ahead and killed this guy**.

Unless you are retrieving something stowed in them, stowing something in them, or teaching a child to ride a bike, keep your hands out of your pockets.

********
**Tunnel vision and adrenaline rushes aside, this was a Bad Shoot. SRSLY you taser a dude and he won't take his hands out of his pockets while he's paralyzed so you shoot him WTF!

*If you see ME with my hand in my pocket and the circumstances are looking sketchy, relax. I'm just holding my gun or knife to comfort myself.   ;)

No comments: