Wednesday, November 3, 2010

I'm A Toy's R Us Employee . . .

A little piece of fun died today. I agreed to stop doing things that are safe for me to do, for the sake of being a good example for the n00bs where I work in case they turn out to be dumbasses. I mean, Sure I can ride a pallet jack and ram into stuff to make it stop without hurting anything or anyone. Sure I can climb on a rolling table to get a good angle for a picture without falling and breaking my head. I can also walk around London and not need the padded light poles . . . but some people should not be encouraged to do things that would be safe if done by a non-dumbass. So, okay. For the sake of being a good example I told the Pit Boss (my manager) I'd stop doing dangerous-looking things so much.

I did, however, poke at him a little. We're in transition from a junkyard/garage sale to being all safe and compliant with ISO standards so we can attract the Big Dawg Customers. This is generally known around here, but no official announcements have been made yet. So before I told him I'd calm down, I put on a fairly straight face and told him

VFD: Look, nobody's told me to stop riding pallet jacks & climbing on sh!t yet, so until that happens . . .
PB: (thinking I'm serious) ::groan:: . . .

I considered the situation for a couple of minutes and came up with a good analogy. I think it explains a lot of changes we're going to have to make where I work:

VFD: We can't have 100 people riding pallet jacks, somebody'd get hurt!
PB: LOL

No comments: