Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Your Music Really Stinks.

My drive home is usually accompanied by the rice crispies sound of AM talk radio. My preferred station is turned down after sundown . . . and as it is winter, this coincides with "right before end of business" for me these days. So I went to the other station I sometimes listen to. . . inanity. Then another station. Vanity. Okay fine, I'll take a chance at some music.

I had known but blocked from my memory how crappy is most of the music on the radio these days. Start with a song that is musically inept with meaningless lyrics, overproduce it to cover the lack of artistic talent, and then compress it so it gets the bass and treble through a cheap car speaker. This ends up sounding like so much jangling noise on a decent audio setup such as the one in my hot rod. Next station. Next station. Next. Next. Finally I ended up on one of the local black music stations where they were playing "My Chick Bad" by Ludacris. I cranked the loudness, volume, and bass controls. It is still a mediocre (at best) piece of music, but it wasn't over-produced, and it was also not over-compressed for broadcast. Plus, it has a decent bass line and it made me think happy thoughts about my special lady-friend.

I usually don't turn up the music in my car to the point that it shakes its mirrors in disapproval because by then the interior is also rattling. This time the rattles matched the music so I toin'd it up to 11. I've got to get the CDs out. How can you people listen to the junk coming down the FM dial? Is this what happens when we cut music out of the government school curricula?

No comments: