Saturday, November 14, 2009

New Alternator Time. Again. Again.

The bearings in the alternator on my car are going out. They squeal sometimes, when the engine is revved. That would be, my <1year-old OEM rebuilt alternator. Which was a replacement for the Advance Auto Parts alternator that stopped putting out electricity. Which was a replacement for the OEM rebuilt alternator installed by a dealership under warranty, which had failing bearings. Which was the replacent for the OEM alternator that came on the car, which stopped putting out electricity at <1 year of car-age.

Just [deleted]. I never knew another car that wanted a fresh alternator every 2-3 years whether it needed one or not. It's better than a new ENGINE every few years, and this engine is pushing 150,000 miles without burning or leaking any appreciable amount of oil, thanks to God and good Korean engineering, but . . . can I get an alternator that lasts as long as a frikken BATTERY?

Oh well. At least I have a spare I can rebuild or use as a core for buying another one, sitting in my garage, pulled from the car I bought for parts when I converted my car from automatic to standard transmission.

No comments: