Saturday, May 15, 2010

More Radiant Barrier Goes In

The ongoing saga of the installation of radiant barrier in my attic goes on. Another 6 strips went up, in half the time it took me to do the first 6 strips, thanks to the assistance of two stout lads from my church who came out to help with the installation. It might all have been put in, but we had a 7 year-old's birthday party to attend. Now all that's left to install is in the very least accessible corners of the attic.

That, plus I need to patch a foot-sized hole in the ceiling over #1's bedroom. Still, it went about as well as could be hoped. The nameless fellow who put his clodhopper through my ceiling kept his wits about him and kept his grip on the rafters, and avoided falling 16 feet to a thinly-carpeted concrete floor below. I'd rather clean sheetrock dust than brains off the floor any day.

Photos and a full review will be forthcoming sometime this summer, but regular readers will know the house has been keeping me busy with other projects. That, plus it frankly sucks to be monkeying around in this particular attic trying to do actual work. For now, let me say that the barrier material I got from the folks at Atticfoil.com is a HUGE step up from some of the other products I was considering using. It is relatively VERY easy to work with, because it is ridiculously strong and there is no top or bottom. Two of the guys who came out to give us quotes for a new air conditioning system were impressed enough with the material that they asked where I got it, and they've seen it all.

********

Full disclosure: I was ready to pay full price, but Ed did cut me a special deal and I took it. Having worked with several hundred square feet of the stuff, I'd say I'm still ready to pay full price if (God forbid) I have to do this on the next house.

No comments: