Thursday, May 27, 2010

Frustrating Computing Experiences: One More :(

I was trying to find information for something at work today. The manufacturer's website had some Java thing on there for their buttons. Firefox told me I had to install a missing plugin to view the page. Fine. I told it to install that sonofa.

It found the plugin right away and it pretended like it was going to install, then it said I didn't have permissions to install it. Fine.

Logout, login to Windows as the machine administrator. Go to the same webpage. No mention of having to install the plugin. Fine.

Logout, login as myself again, and run Firefox as the Administrator. It opens the webpages Administrator had open, not the ones I had open. Fine.

Close firefox, run it as myself, copy/paste the address into notepad, close firefox, run firefox as Administrator and open that web page. Now at least, Administrator has to install a plugin. Great. Install the mother.

The plugin finder searches for several minutes. I take a piss break, come back and it's still searching for that plugin. Great. Reload the page and try again, same result.

Fine, I'll do without that page. I decided I'd just see if I can poke around the website from the homepage and the plugin can go F itself. So I deleted the tail end of the URL and went to the home page of the website. It said I needed a plugin.



Okay, fine, we'll play this game again, go ahead and install it. It finds it, it starts to instals it, and everything is going swimmingly.

I went to type up this blog post, and the [deleted] plugin installer program takes the system focus away from Notepad and I type two letters to finish the word I had been typing. It took the focus away and popped up a dialog box to request my input.I selected an option, but I don't know what it was because the dialog box was only open for 1/4 of a second. [deleted] [deleted] [deleted] software. Software should NEVER force its way to the top like that.

Fortunately I did manage to tell it not to install the (stupid) Yahoo! toolbar.
And finally it did install, and I was able to view the buttons on the webpage and it turned out to be exactly what I was looking for.

But RRRRRRRGH!

No comments: