Sunday, September 20, 2009

Prejudice

I am "prejudiced."

Today I saw a man with a certain physical characteristic that is a telltale sign of reduced mental capacity. I thought to myself, 'here is a fellow who may require special handling.'

I am not a condescending jerk. Not all the time anyway. My business required a friendly salutation and brief conversation with this fellow. When I approached him I put on the same "happy mask" I use for all non-menacing-looking strangers. I spoke to him as I would to any 'normal' person.

What do you want, a medal? No, don't mistake my intention for telling you this. I am here to make a point. You are prejudiced also. Pretty much everyone is, so don't feel too bad.

The point is, no matter how sure you are, based on a first impression, that someone is 'different,' you should treat them as if they are normal. If they turn out to need special consideration, it will probably be apparent to you in short order. Don't cause embarrassment with your unnecessarily patronizing behavior.

No comments: