Tuesday, September 1, 2009

When Things Go Bump In The Night

I was awakened by a loud clattering/sliding noise this morning. I immediately recognized it as something small, hard, and plastic, being batted across the coffee table by VFDKitty#1. I gave out a sigh, thought "that stupid cat" and rolled over in bed to check the time (02:21). I listened, myself still and quiet, for any other noises that would indicate it were not the cat. I almost went to sleep again, but decided it was awfully bumpy for things in the night around here.

Glock: Check
MagLite: Check
Creep & Peep: Check
Doors & windows all secure: Check
Cat awake, all others sleeping: Check

VFDKitty's explanation was as follows (and I quote): "grrreow".

Stupid cat. Oh well. No harm, no felony foul, I guess. Back to bed.

2 comments:

David said...

You grabbed a Glock for a sneak-and-peek? So you don't believe that the only reason for handguns is to give you a chance to fight your way to a long gun?

Vote For David said...

It's a calculated risk. We live in the 'burbs in a part of the world that is, at least for now, more likely to see cops roll out to domestic violence calls than home invasions.

That said, if it were up to me, there would be a certain long gun next to the bed in Condition 0 when I'm lying down, and another at every doorway in the house.

My Darling Wife is coming around to a more preparedness-oriented way of thinking, but she's not ready to sleep next to a loaded rifle. The pistol was insisted upon as a minimum.

Plus, it was just the cat. When I get around to it, I'll post up about one time when I cleared the house with a battle rifle in hand . . .