Monday, April 6, 2009

Shooting is Good for the Environment!

You want proof? Okay, how's this: steel cased ammunition ends up adding iron to the soil:

Photobucket

Steel core bullets also contribute iron, as well as copper.

Photobucket

Okay, it's a lame joke I know but I couldn't resist. I did think it was pretty neat that the steel cases disappear on the ground almost as well as a deer when it stops moving. Also, I can't get over how cool it is to recover bullets out of the backstop.

In related news, I found a few handgun bullets as well. The rifling marks on one side got sanded off by the sandy clay ground. These were shot into targets on the ground at a shallow angle, dug a trench, and skipped off toward the backstop. They looked good enough to reload, almost. So I almost reloaded them:

.40S&W:
Photobucket

.380ACP
Photobucket

For those who can't tell, those bullets were just stuck back into their fired casings. Unless they were pulled for that purpose with the proper equipment, you should generally never reload fired bullets.

No comments: