Friday, April 17, 2009

Hydrogen Peroxide As A Cold Preventative

My #3 child has come down with cold symptoms on top of teething pain. Last night he was . . . grumpy. A few minutes later, he was happy and playing again. What's the difference? Hydrogen peroxide in each ear for a minute or two. He started to get cranky again a couple of hours later and we repeated the treatment/attitude improvement routine again.

Last night on the way home from work, my left eustachian tube was closing up, and it was starting to hurt. I could feel that there was some funk trying to get a foothold in my ear. (wait a minute. . .)

I put some peroxide in my ears. This is after several minutes of pretty dramatic bubbling had already taken place, and #2 figured out how to take a picture with my camera:

Photobucket

Those bubbles are the signs of the deaths of a whole bunch of unfriendly things that were trying to make me sick via my left ear. I repeated the procedure this morning but there wasn't much bubbling so I knocked off after a minute. Then today at lunch time I felt my tube closing up again and I sloshed about 1/2cc of H2O2 in there. It's bubbling away as I type with my head held horizontal, and already I can feel the eustachian tube has opened up again.

Thank God for Hydrogen Peroxide.

Use the 3% stuff in a brown bottle from the store. 10% is bleach and 30% is just plain hazardous. Put the peroxide in a syringe if you have one, and hold it in your hand for a couple of minutes. Failure to bring it up to something like body temperature (room temp. from the bottle) makes it feel like you put ice in your ear when you apply the stuff.

Oh, and be careful when you go to stand up again. Walking with your head held horizontal is surprisingly difficult to do well, and when you set your head up straight vertical, dizziness is not uncommon (it goes away in a few moments).

No comments: