Saturday, December 5, 2009

Alternator: Not So Alternatey.

I got my alternator reassembled with a fresh set of bearings, courtesy of Texas Alternator Starter Service* who replaced them while I waited.

Took the alternator to Advance Auto Parts, who tested it for me, free.

Two volts.

Time to disassemble it again . . .

Heck, if I find out only the front bearing is out on the currently-fitted alternator are bad, I may just see if I can swap the front housing with a fresh bearing over to the going-bad alternator.

We'll see.

********

*These guys are pretty hit-or-miss at customer service on the phone, based on my limited experience calling them. This is because they are busier than a one-legged man in an ass-kicking contest. If you go see them in person, they rock. The man took my rotor to the workers to see if we could replace the sliprings (no) and came back out and said they were already working on it. $0 to clean the front housing and press in the front bearing, pull and replace the commutator-end bearing, and turn the sliprings.

No comments: